* Is the question, or comment/response absolutely necessary?
* Will my statement uplift, or tear down?
* How would I feel about, or react to the statement if it was spoken to me?
Taking a second to ‘think before you speak’ can be the difference between peace and confusion. God is not the author of confusion (1Corinthians 14:33) and since our ultimate goal is to be like Him, and have our marriages reflect Him, it is important that we honor God and our spouse with the way we communicate.
With that being said, I am going to ‘pick’ on the men so to speak…
Below are 5 things that men should never say to their wives: (keeping it light…lol)
1. “I saw this on _______ and thought it would look good on you” – when describing a gift that you are giving to her
What she heard: “I saw this badddd chic the other day and I want you to look like her”
2. “Yes” – when answering any question regarding weight
What she heard: “You are either too big, or too small and either way, I do not approve”
3. “I’m just gonna get a sandwich” – after she just cooked a full meal
What she heard: “What you made is not good enough, matter of fact, you can’t cook at all”
4. “I have no idea how we are going to make it” – when addressing financial concerns
What she heard: “We are about to move into an apt in the worse part of town. Matter of fact, we may be homeless”
5. “You don’t _____________like my mom does” – when talking about ANYTHING
What she heard: “Nothing you do is good enough. Why did I marry you in the first place”
Sure, I went a little overboard with that (for humor sake), but I am sure you got the message:
Be careful what you say and how you say it!
Oliver & Denise Marcelle are the founders of Denoli, LLC (speaking, facilitating, and mentoring/coaching).
They have been married for 22 years, have 3 children and 1 grandchild.
Through seminars, a podcast, videos, and social media posts, they offer a candid look into their own marriage, with the goal being to encourage couples and help them explore, grow and learn together.
Oliver and Denise can help you build the relationship of your dreams, both personally and professionally.
Book Denoli for your next event!